Sunday, September 10, 2006

Live from Hurricane Florence

So much for lying on a beach sipping rum cocktails ... I am currently shuttered and bolted into my friend Lisa's house, as Hurricane Florence approaches (although, as I said to Lisa, last night Bermuda had been practically blown away according to CNN, while the Bermuda weather site was predicting things might get "a bit breezy"). Typing this as fast as possible since the power is due to go out in 40 minutes, so apologies if the writing is not quite up to standard...

I managed to make it in on the last British Airways flight from London to Bermuda, unfortunately sans camera. Since I'm obviously a terrorist, I was not allowed to bring my precious Nikon D-70 on board since that would have been a second piece of hand luggage. (At least I was allowed the small mercy of a lipstick, which unglamourous travellers to the USA were not allowed to take).

The question is, when the hurricane hits, what exactly do we do? After a patient day of swimming despite warnings (including close encounters with jellyfish which after the sad death of Steve Irwin distburbed me immensely) I am fearing a day of cardgames or worse, Lord of the Rings: The Boardgame. Considering I fell asleep in the third Lord of the Rings film, this does not bode well. (Take that Eoin, who called me a geek).

Ok, we are now attempting to use the last of our power to project DVDs on the wall and get our last doses of email, Homestarrunner.com and the lost art of literature. And the washing up. And the toilet - it will apparently not flush tomorrow and will require us to take a bucket of water from the bath (conveniently pre-filled) in order to maintain the household hygiene.

Oh god... here we go!

More when Belco, the Bermudian Electricity Company, bestows power back upon us...

No comments: