Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Secret History

Home alone, tired of the complete absence of sunlight. So I decided to write about a little website that's been a beacon in the dark for me for several years now, and obviously for a few other people as well. No, I'm not referring to my beloved Homestar (but if you want some tips on what NOT to get for Decemberween, you could do worse than StrongBad's home shopping channel. Remember: nothing says "I have no idea what your interests are" than to give a present that ceases to be useful the moment it's opened).

Anyway, there's a little blog a few doors down from this one called PostSecret.com, updated every Sunday. People send in home-made postcards like the one above and share their deepest, darkest secrets - ranging from child abuse to how many staplers they've pinched from the office supply cabinet. In total, the postcards form a pretty fascinating - not to mention addictive - glimpse into the rest of humanity. Have a look. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll look very suspiciously at the person sitting next to you on the bus tomorrow.

Some of the postcards have brought me to tears. And yes, I did send in one myself, although it never got published. ...In fact, I'm hoping I actually sent it and didn't leave it in all its incriminating glory in the stationery cupboard. (Not that I was stealing anything). But it's lost forever now, much like the subject of the secret it contained.

So...happy birthday. Wherever you are.

No comments: