Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Living out of a suitcase


Health Warning: this will be a rather haphazard posting for the sole reason that I'm incredibly slack. Still camping at Ben and Erin's and still with belongings strewn across three houses. Not much to report except that temporary flatmate Mia has become addicted to Pacman, Sophie Dahl shops at our vegetable market and I have started ballet again. Yes, Missy M returns to the stage after a 12 year hiatus. Well okay I've just been doing ballet at home but I'm remembering how much I love it. When I feel comfortable enough appearing in front of other grown women in a leotard I will consider a class (that will be never then).

I've been lying low since Sweden and trying to get through the daily grind, which no matter how positive I am or how much Green & Blacks' chocolate I keep in my desk drawer, just doesn't get better. It's become more and more obvious that unless I suddenly get a starring role - or more realistically, a lackey job...and then starring role - on Doctor Who, London is not really the place for me.

But a chink of light at the end of the tunnel - I got a phone call from my dream company on Monday. If all goes well, I may be either returning to Stockholm or moving to New York very soon. I don't actually know many people in New York, unless you count the Soup Nazi. I won't give details in case I jinx it but it sounds like the perfect job: including ski trips, no shoes policy and daily fika (that's Swedish afternoon tea - even in the New York office). If I thought it would help I'd pray but small daily sacrifices and obsessive-compulsive gestures aren't out of the question. If that fails, I guess it's back to finding a creative outlet here. I don't know why they just don't film the farmer's market here in Queen's Park where most of the city's cast and crew appear to live or at least shop for vegetables - Mia and I have taken to donning sunglasses and spending more time ogling stars than onions on Sunday mornings.

But it's not just about the job, I need to find a place where I love living. It will be good to get out of Britain - where the conservatives are about to propose tax breaks for married people (the solution to all of Britain's problems, apparently - force everyone to get married for cash, yes, that will make for a stable and happy society, well done!), Al Qaeda is all worked up about Salman Rushdie and as far as I know John Travolta is still calling up BBC management about scientology (I'm serious).

So...fingers and toes, as they say back home. And I promise more regular updates soon, if anything exciting would happen. Next week promises a meeting with 'The Google Guy' who I have emailed for years but never met in person, and possibly a speed-dating extravaganza with some single pals. I know I know, but never say never...

No comments: