Thursday, August 02, 2007

Gonna use my sidestep

Well, this week my journalism career path was a bit more cemented by me accidentally getting a proper news story on a proper news channel. It's a momentous occasion. Yes I know, it's a gratuitous David Tennant story, but hell, it was the most popular entertainment story on BBC News yesterday according to well-placed sources. Actually, I had just told those same well-placed sources that I still wonder how on earth I ended up doing this - don't tell anyone but I'm not actually a journalist. I think I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. Not doing too badly at journalism considering I really don't want to be a journalist. Current jobs on the cards include:

- journalist (by default really),
- rich housewife (slight drawback being lack of rich husband)
- famous television producer (totally unqualified)
- web person (odds on 3-1, may also be convoluted route to famous television producer)
- go back to Greenpeace (not ruling that out)
- extra (I reckon I'd look good in BBC Three's upcoming Pramface Mansion)
- unemployed actor (guess I need to be an actor first)
- Mexican food waitress (Pros: Nick Cave as customer, unlimited margaritas. Cons: pay won't cover rent)

You can probably see why I'm not making much headway.

Last night I also met the head of BBC News at a London journalism club (um.... non-journalism club maybe) I'm planning to join. I introduced myself. 'I know who you are,' he said. I stared at him in horror. 'How?' I blurted out, thinking oh my God, what have I done now. 'I've seen you around,' he said mysteriously. It's weird things like these that give me the idea that something is about to happen, that I'm at some kind of crossroads - either very good, like aforementioned Plan A which will bring me fame, fortune and some kind of material assets which I currently have absolutely zero of despite approaching 30, or very bad, like being unceremoniously fired for an unwitting transgression of an obscure British law.

I'm watching Lost in Translation right now, a movie that means a lot to me. It's making me horribly nostalgic. Apart from the memories of Tokyo, which I'd buried underneath a pile of self-flagellation, I feel exactly like Scarlett Johansson right now except for the bad marriage bit. Not that I have any marriage - and on that topic even JonJon's flatmate hasn't even asked me out for a drink. I have been diligently trying to obey the 'He's Just Not That Into You' rules which forbid me to just pick up the phone, but I will most likely throw that book out the window as usual. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So really, I'm just trying to bide my time before I can move back to Ben and Erin's, as I metaphorically stare out that window at the Park Hyatt, wondering what is going to happen next.

p.s. Queen's Park Celebrity Update: Daniel 'James Bond' Craig residency confirmed, Alex Lloyd Fat Bastard spotted with a cup of coffee (not beer!) heading into what we assume is a recording studio on Lonsdale Street.

2 comments:

martin said...

Pick up phone.

Call. Demand (do not ask) that he accompany you to swanky eatery of choice.

MissyM said...

Who? Daniel Craig, David Tennant or JonJon's flatmate? All of the above?