Wednesday, December 26, 2007

17 blocks of cheese later


Christmas Day began and ended with eggs. Erin and I lined our stomachs with eggs for breakfast, but the tactic didn't seem to work that well as my last champagne-fuddled memory is Erin hurling an egg out the window at the retreating figure of our friend Andrew. 'Don't worry, it's organic!' we reassured the neighbours, before boiling up another pot of mulled wine and bringing out another round of cheese. It's all pretty blurry from there.

It's been a strange Christmas, rather housebound. Housemate Ben suffered a collapsed lung last week and so can't leave the house (he has also earned himself, possibly permanently, the nickname Bung Lung). This has meant a lot of sympathetic sitting around eating, drinking, watching random DVDs we have pulled from the depths of the cupboard - including but not limited to a documentary on obsessive robotic-dog-owners, the entire series of We Can Be Heroes - The Search for Australian of the Year, and (forcibly) The Doctor Who Christmas Special - all interspersed with a hell of a lot of cheese. (Erin and I have just counted 17 blocks of various cheeses in the fridge, including haloumi, smoked cheddar, horseradish, Stilton, Danish Blue and my personal favourite purely for its association with Wallace & Gromit, Wensleydale). Maybe it's because I lived in Holland, but I am still addicted to cheese. Despite this, a few days cooped up and I have been starting to get cabin fever but everyone I know seems to be on an exotic holiday. But it's pretty tropical here, no snow to be seen.

So not much scintillating news from this little corner of London, hoping to up the social factor after a good long bath and another does of cheese - a hangover cure if ever there was one.

Update: I am now feeling quite insane, coupled out, and the cabin fever is unbearable. I'm resorting to some Prosecco and a new Mexican recipe. Unfortunately if I venture out now, it will be alone, and I'm sick of living in my head for the last few days. I'm almost looking forward to going back to work ...

No comments: