Thursday, June 14, 2007

Unexpected (first) life

That's Blix there in the picture. She's my alterego in Second Life, which, due to the fact my first life is so boring yet confusing at the same time, I've become quite addicted to (Ludvig will you please sign in for once!!). Blix, whose hair I am extremely jealous of, has even applied for a job at the Swedish Embassy (that's where she is in the postcard). But then today some very weird things happened, some good some bad, that reminded me that life can take some unexpected turns.

First the bad news... I heard on the grapevine that my ex-boyfriend is pregnant. Well not him personally of course, but most likely that girl who was bringing over IKEA furniture in Oslo. Looks like she had a backup plan. For some reason, this has quite upset me, and I was sneaking down to the Tesco's to get a very illicit packet of cigarettes which I have not touched since Sweden, when I saw a familiar face in the foyer from the misty depths of yesteryear (no Jonathan, it was NOT Stephen Merchant. Dammit. It was a girl for starters.).

I stared at her. She smiled politely at me. I kept staring. A look of recognition dawned on her face slowly. We both felt like we were in some kind of surreal reality tv show. Sally, my flatmate from nearly ten years ago on the other side of the planet, is working in the same building as me. In fact, directly above me in the department where I was loitering yesterday and yet we still managed to be completely oblivious to each other's existence.

I've known Sally since my days as an actress when I was an innocent young sixteen year old constantly subjected to curfews who would attempt to hide at Sally's parent-less house and hang out with the thespian Goths who frequented the local arty venues.

Who knows what this random meeting will bring, but hopefully it's a little signpost that London doesn't have to be quite so empty from now on.

Jake Gyllenhaal movie tally: 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clifford is signing in..